The Director of Data Science will lead the Data Science area within Data Science & Analytics at HBO. This team is dedicated to building data driven solutions that have a measurable impact across all parts of the HBO organization by aiding strategic product, content and marketing decisions. The role will require a deep understanding of machine learning, deep learning and AI techniques and their application in creating operational analytic solutions in Media and Entertainment. The position requires someone who is comfortable striking a balance between cutting-edge and pragmatic solutions. Partnering with business stakeholders, product engineers, IT professionals and other groups within Consumer Insights &Analytics they will ensure that analytic solutions can be leveraged throughout the organization to drive HBO business strategies.
- Lead a team of talented data scientists in the design and development of foundational and operational analytic solutions that empower HBO to make key strategic decisions across the organization
- Be a thought leader in the application of cutting edge techniques to real-world business problems
- Foster a shared purpose among team members that enhances the capabilities of the team by building a collaborative learning environment
- MS or PhD in quantitative field of study (mathematics, physical or biological sciences, data science etc.) from an accredited institution
- Inquisitive, conceptual thinker comfortable working on complex problems at the cutting edge with limited definition of scope or guarantee of expected outcome
- Deep experience in application of machine learning, deep learning and analytic techniques in a media or entertainment company within a big-data environment.
- Strong background in analytic programming (R, SparkR, Python, SAS) and data manipulation (SQL) in a big-data environment
- Proven technical abilities, but must be capable of communicating complex analyses effectively to varying internal and external stakeholders, of varying seniority
- Capability to lead multiple data science work streams simultaneously in a fast-paced environment in partnership with multiple business stakeholders
- 10+ years of experience in executing and managing complex data science initiatives
- Demonstrable experience leading a data science team in a media, entertainment, telecommunications or big-data driven consumer-product
America's most successful premium television company, Home Box Office delivers two 24-hour pay television services—HBO®and Cinemax®. HBO continues to take advantage of the latest technological innovations with advancements that include the availability of HBO programming online though HBO GOSM and MAX GOSM, as well as HBO On Demand® and Cinemax On Demand® in HD. Just as HBO is a company noted for its commitment to excellence in the products and services it delivers to consumers, it makes the extra effort to create a work environment in which fairness, equity, trust, and individual responsibility are valued. HBO is committed to retaining and recruiting skilled and motivated employees, placing a priority on qualified team players who contribute to the diversity of their workforce. HBO offers competitive benefits to include medical, dental, vision, a matched 401(k) plan, flexible spending, a commuter benefit program and tuition reimbursement.
HBO is an equal employment opportunity employer. HBO does not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. HBO also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories.