HBO’s growing Applied Analytics team is responsible for leveraging data to generate actionable insights and recommendations that facilitate decisions across the business, from content development to promotion. The Data Scientist will conceive analytic plans encompassing descriptive and predictive analytics, and unearth the story of the data, to help the company make informed choices that influence content, products, and our relationship with audiences. To achieve these objectives, this individual will mine data and apply machine learning techniques, using languages such as SQL, Python, and R.
- Devise and execute on analytical & data science solutions to strategic and tactical problems
- Perform user-level analysis and mine data to gain insight into audiences and their engagement with content
- Apply supervised and unsupervised machine learning techniques, such as linear and logistic regression, decision trees, and k-means clustering
- Partner with analytic capabilities & data science solutions team members to fully leverage and enhance the data environment, and operationalize analytics
- Tell the underlying story of the data, and present it in an accessible way
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited institution; a quantitative field of study is a plus
- 1-3 years of experience defining and executing against basic analytic plans
- Strong conceptual thinking
- Excellent ability to identify and tell data-driven stories
- Experience performing deep analysis of data, familiarity with statistical concepts
- Experience with SQL and a statistical programming language (such as R or SAS)
- Management or mentorship of other team members is a plus
- Position based in Seattle
America's most successful premium television company, Home Box Office delivers two 24-hour pay television services—HBO®and Cinemax®. HBO continues to take advantage of the latest technological innovations with advancements that include the availability of HBO programming online though HBO GOSM and MAX GOSM, as well as HBO On Demand® and Cinemax On Demand® in HD. Just as HBO is a company noted for its commitment to excellence in the products and services it delivers to consumers, it makes the extra effort to create a work environment in which fairness, equity, trust, and individual responsibility are valued. HBO is committed to retaining and recruiting skilled and motivated employees, placing a priority on qualified team players who contribute to the diversity of their workforce. HBO offers competitive benefits to include medical, dental, vision, a matched 401(k) plan, flexible spending, a commuter benefit program and tuition reimbursement.
HBO is an equal employment opportunity employer. HBO does not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. HBO also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories.