The Director, Rights & Clearances, Business Affairs will manage and work with the music clearance personnel, responsible for clearances relating to HBO's original programming and promotional programming. This position reports to the Vice President, Music Rights & Clearances, Business Affairs.PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Act as the liaison between Business Affairs and the internal client groups in the planning and strategy related to meeting the creative, financial/budgetary needs, scheduling demands and legal obligations for music clearances for all HBO original programming promotional campaigns. Meet and consult with HBO Consumer & Program Marketing executives, writer/producers, HBO original programming executives, series showrunners and music supervisors in order to establish work schedules for project assignments and manage workflow to ensure the successful and timely completion of projects.
- Responsible for third party music clearances for all promotional campaigns, including network brand/image campaigns, marketing stunts, tie-ins; ads/trailers and interstitial programming in connection with HBO’s original programming (including but not limited to series, comedy specials, mini-series, films, documentaries, sports concerts and HBO Latino concert acquisitions). Research third party copyright owners, negotiate fees with third party copyright owners for the specific rights required by HBO’s campaigns, etc. Draft and/or review contracts/licenses, and ensure timely submission/payment of fees. Suggest alternative music choices/provide contact information for outside music companies when a clearance choice is not clearable, denied and/or exceeds budgetary parameters.
- Supervise the negotiation of blanket music library licenses used by the different divisions and departments within HBO (e.g. Creative Marketing, Original Programming, HBO Home Entertainment, HBO Sports, HBO Enterprises, and the various HBO International Ventures)
- Supervise and remain apprised of music and footage clearance status in regards to HBO Sports programming and when needed, help to obtain clearances for those programs.
- Plan and assign projects to direct reports based on the project status in relation to the HBO and Cinemax schedule.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience (must include network and/or studio) with music clearances and managerial experience managing a team of 2 or more.
- Must have strong relationships within the music industry (record labels, publishers, artist management, etc.) and within the television/film industry (music supervisors, musicologists, films/tv studios, etc.). Must also possess a wide knowledge of music genres and be in tune with trends, practices and new/emerging artists.
- Must have strong communication and organizational skills and have the ability to multi-task and organize heavy project flow.
America's most successful premium television company, Home Box Office delivers two 24-hour pay television services—HBO®and Cinemax®. HBO continues to take advantage of the latest technological innovations with advancements that include the availability of HBO programming online though HBO GOSM and MAX GOSM, as well as HBO On Demand® and Cinemax On Demand® in HD. Just as HBO is a company noted for its commitment to excellence in the products and services it delivers to consumers, it makes the extra effort to create a work environment in which fairness, equity, trust, and individual responsibility are valued. HBO is committed to retaining and recruiting skilled and motivated employees, placing a priority on qualified team players who contribute to the diversity of their workforce. HBO offers competitive benefits to include medical, dental, vision, a matched 401(k) plan, flexible spending, a commuter benefit program and tuition reimbursement.
HBO is an equal employment opportunity employer. HBO does not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. HBO also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories.