Build the Future of Entertainment
HBO Max is WarnerMedia’s direct-to-consumer (DTC) offering debuting in May 2020. With over 10,000 hours of curated premium content anticipated at launch, HBO Max will offer powerhouse programming for everyone in the home, bringing together HBO, a robust slate of new original series, key third-party licensed programs and movies, and fan favorites from WarnerMedia’s rich library, including Warner Bros., New Line, DC, CNN, TNT, TBS, truTV, Turner Classic Movies, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Crunchyroll, Rooster Teeth, Looney Tunes, and more.
Our DTC Technology team is laying the foundation for HBO Max, and we need highly motivated, uniquely skilled, and technically agile experts across a variety of disciplines to accomplish things that have never been done before.
As a Software Engineer on WarnerMedia's Video Delivery team, you will build and support backend systems for serving streaming video to millions of users for our OTT streaming video applications including the upcoming HBO Max service. We connect the dots of delivering video bits from content providers, through encoding, packaging, origin servers, CDNs -- all the way to the end user for WarnerMedia’s streaming video applications across web, mobile, gaming consoles, and connected screens. By working on our team you can say you built the very best streaming platform in the world!
- Join a growing team with many opportunities for you to expand your scope and influence
- Use your experience to make smart engineering decisions and own critical areas of a product used by millions of customers
- Get the opportunity to work in multiple areas of the product, both on the client-side and server-side
- Lead the design, implementation, and delivery of large engineering projects that interact with multiple teams
- Influence technology, process, standards, and best practices, both on this team and across the organization
- Mentor other engineers to help them grow both technically and professionally
- Define architectures and designs that enable working through others
- Ensure consistency of your team's’ code and those teams you integrate with
- Help your organization grow into green field technical domain areas
- Have a deep understanding of software data structures and algorithms
- Ideate and innovate on complex software solutions
- You are a team resource, growing other engineers and defining team software standards and engineering best practices
- Design and deliver complex architectures and distributed systems, including working through other engineers to help deliver the end solution.
- Describe highly technical concepts to non-technical audiences in a way they can understand
- Be passionate about software engineering with a strong sense of ownership for the code that you and your team write
- Seek self-improvement and are adaptable to suggestions and feedback
- Hold yourself and your team to high standards while maintaining friendly, respectful relationships
- 7+ years of experience in software engineering on shipped consumer products or platforms
- DevOps experience, where you've owned and operated the systems you've developed
- Full-stack industry experience, or hands-on familiarity with both client and server technology
- Success in delivering reliable, low-latency services at scale, operating in a 24x7 environment
- Experience with a variety of back-end persistence, queuing and networking technologies, especially Kubernetes and AWS
- Knowledge of video streaming technologies (HLS, SmoothStreaming, DASH)
- Experience with DRM systems (PlayReady, Fairplay, Widevine)
- HBO exclusive events
- Paid time off to volunteer
- Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
- Access to in-house learning and development resources
- Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
America's most successful premium television company, Home Box Office delivers two 24-hour pay television services—HBO®and Cinemax®. HBO continues to take advantage of the latest technological innovations with advancements that include the availability of HBO programming online though HBO GOSM and MAX GOSM, as well as HBO On Demand® and Cinemax On Demand® in HD. Just as HBO is a company noted for its commitment to excellence in the products and services it delivers to consumers, it makes the extra effort to create a work environment in which fairness, equity, trust, and individual responsibility are valued. HBO is committed to retaining and recruiting skilled and motivated employees, placing a priority on qualified team players who contribute to the diversity of their workforce. HBO offers competitive benefits to include medical, dental, vision, a matched 401(k) plan, flexible spending, a commuter benefit program and tuition reimbursement.
HBO is an equal employment opportunity employer. HBO does not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. HBO also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories.