Build the Future of Entertainment
HBO Max is WarnerMedia’s direct-to-consumer (DTC) offering debuting in May 2020. With over 10,000 hours of curated premium content anticipated at launch, HBO Max will offer powerhouse programming for everyone in the home, bringing together HBO, a robust slate of new original series, key third-party licensed programs and movies, and fan favorites from WarnerMedia’s rich library, including Warner Bros., New Line, DC, CNN, TNT, TBS, truTV, Turner Classic Movies, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Crunchyroll, Rooster Teeth, Looney Tunes, and more.
Our DTC Technology team is laying the foundation for HBO Max, and we need highly motivated, uniquely skilled, and technically agile experts across a variety of disciplines to accomplish things that have never been done before.
As a Staff Software Engineer 2 on WarnerMedia’s Core Media Engine team, you will build and support client-side components for our streaming video applications including the upcoming HBO Max service. You will own client-side video from the network to glass, including video profile selection, digital rights management and licensing, rendering, telemetry and on-the-fly stream optimization. You will interface with the appropriate low-level systems on each platform to build the best possible streaming experience for our customers.
- Join a growing team with many opportunities for you to expand your professional and technical skills
- Influence the technical agenda for the Core Media Engine and own critical features of a product used by millions of customers
- Work across teams and disciplines to explore technical solutions and evaluate technical tradeoffs, using the latest streaming media technologies and video capabilities
- Improve your team’s development, test, and operations practices
- Mentor other engineers to help them grow their careers
- Have a deep understanding of Computer Science fundamentals, including algorithms, data structures, and operating systems.
- Be fluent in a modern programming language, ideally Java, Swift, or TypeScript.
- Have hands-on experience with streaming video delivery or playback.
- Be a self-starter that can independently solve complex engineering problems.
- Maintain high quality coding standards for yourself and your team.
- Design and deliver components of a complex architecture or distributed system.
- Be passionate about software engineering with a strong sense of ownership for the code that you and your team write, and desire to become an expert in client-side video technology.
- Seek self-improvement and adapt to suggestions and feedback.
- Hold yourself and your team to high standards while maintaining respectful relationships.
- Provide periodic on-call support for critical emergent customer-facing issues
- 5+ years in software engineering on shipped consumer products or platforms
- DevOps, where you’ve owned and operated the systems you’ve developed
- Media technology (e.g. ExoPlayer, AVFoundation, HTML5 video)
- Streaming technology (e.g. DASH, HLS)
- DRM systems (e.g. FairPlay, Widevine)
- Device platforms (e.g. Android, iOS, tvOS)
- User experience telemetry
- Fluency in multiple modern programming languages
- HBO exclusive events
- Paid time off to volunteer
- Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
- Access to in-house learning and development resources
- Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
Click HERE to Quick Apply.
America's most successful premium television company, Home Box Office delivers two 24-hour pay television services—HBO®and Cinemax®. HBO continues to take advantage of the latest technological innovations with advancements that include the availability of HBO programming online though HBO GOSM and MAX GOSM, as well as HBO On Demand® and Cinemax On Demand® in HD. Just as HBO is a company noted for its commitment to excellence in the products and services it delivers to consumers, it makes the extra effort to create a work environment in which fairness, equity, trust, and individual responsibility are valued. HBO is committed to retaining and recruiting skilled and motivated employees, placing a priority on qualified team players who contribute to the diversity of their workforce. HBO offers competitive benefits to include medical, dental, vision, a matched 401(k) plan, flexible spending, a commuter benefit program and tuition reimbursement.
HBO is an equal employment opportunity employer. HBO does not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. HBO also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories.