WarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Now, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.
The WarnerMedia Music Group seeks a music clearance paralegal to join our team - a person who has a passion for music, who is curious, innovative, and dynamic, and who excels in a fast-paced environment of responsibility and freedom. This person will help clear music across WarnerMedia networks worldwide, including HBO Max, TNT, TBS, Turner Sports, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies, truTV, CNN and HLN. This role is based in Atlanta, Georgia and will have frequent, direct contact with clients, publishers, labels and other third parties.
- High level of comfort for working independently through the entire music clearance process, from inquiry to invoice.
- Be knowledgeable about the music clearance process.
- Have specific experience with television (programming and promos).
- Have experience with, and contacts at, record companies, publishers, music libraries, and with artists and managers.
- Understand that relationships and communication are paramount to the clearance process.
- Understand the dynamics between the various players in the television ecosystem, e.g., production companies, producers, post production, finance, marketing, and business affairs personnel, and feel comfortable engaging the appropriate departments in connection with a clearance.
- Be able to anticipate clearance issues.
- Be skilled at expediting a negotiation and knowing who to call and how to resolve clearance issues.
- Understand how to handle multiple quotes for the same song and clear compositions with many rights holders, side artists and samples.
- Be able to suggest alternate tracks.
- Understand that each clearance is unique and nuanced, requiring extreme organization and attention to detail, swift thinking, and decision making.
- Be comfortable interacting with multiple licensors and internal clients, as well as have a good eye for the big picture.
- Be able to handle a high volume of clearances with precision and professionalism.
- College degree (or relevant work experience in lieu of a college degree).
- 3+ years of music clearance experience (e.g., in the music department at a major production company, film/television studio, television network, publisher, label, or law firm).
- Experience providing in-house support in television is preferred.
- Highly collaborative, with clear and concise written and verbal communication skills.
- Curiosity and eagerness to tackle additional projects as needed, including matters outside of your area of expertise.
- Fast learner with strong organizational skills and ability to work in a fast-paced environment where meeting deadlines is a priority and handling multiple matters simultaneously is the norm.
- Excellent analytical skills, initiative and ability to work autonomously while remaining a collaborative and supportive member of the team.
- Comfortable and competent with technology, from clearance software to internet research to MS Office.
- Paid time off every year to volunteer
- Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
- 2018 Best Company for Working Mothers
- 2018 Best Company for Dads
- An in-house learning and development team to help shape and grow your career
- Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
America's most successful premium television company, Home Box Office delivers two 24-hour pay television services—HBO®and Cinemax®. HBO continues to take advantage of the latest technological innovations with advancements that include the availability of HBO programming online though HBO GOSM and MAX GOSM, as well as HBO On Demand® and Cinemax On Demand® in HD. Just as HBO is a company noted for its commitment to excellence in the products and services it delivers to consumers, it makes the extra effort to create a work environment in which fairness, equity, trust, and individual responsibility are valued. HBO is committed to retaining and recruiting skilled and motivated employees, placing a priority on qualified team players who contribute to the diversity of their workforce. HBO offers competitive benefits to include medical, dental, vision, a matched 401(k) plan, flexible spending, a commuter benefit program and tuition reimbursement.
HBO is an equal employment opportunity employer. HBO does not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. HBO also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories.