This is our story. We are the now and the next. The power behind the people building the future. We are born from the spirit of innovation. We are created from the idea that people around the world want more, need more, deserve more. We are the home of the global digital revolution. We are CNN.
See what it’s like to work at CNN! Follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
What part will you play?
The Washington editor will assist the senior editors of the White House, Congress and Justice beats in overseeing CNN's digital coverage. The Washington editor's primary responsibility will be editing daily breaking news coverage as well as assisting with enterprise stories. We are looking for someone with stellar news judgment, superb editing skills and the ability to perform in a competitive environment.
This is a project role through 1/31/2021.
What will you be doing?
- Assist the senior editors for the White House, Congress and Justice beats in leading digital coverage
- Edit content focused on a user-driven strategy that understands the nuances of packaging content for the web, mobile web, social (primarily Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, and leading social messaging apps), and apps
- Help ensure quality control by line editing and back-reading content
- Edit analysis, enterprise and accountability pieces as well as breaking stories
- Prioritize the most social stories and ask two critical questions: 1) is this content native to mobile, and 2) is it shareable?
- Coordinate with newsgathering teams across the beats and help prioritize and execute digital needs
- Knowledge and passion for political news and producing political content with the urgency politics demands
- Monitor national and local news sources to identify and evaluate stories of potential interest that align with the editorial direction
- This person should be passionate, driven, innovative, and determined to define some of the country's most important political stories for the mobile social generation of news consumers
- Edit and help produce sharp headlines and stories
- Superb writing and visual communication strength are a must
- 6+ of experience an editorial role at a traditional or digital native news organization
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Sound editorial and social judgment; excellent writing and visual communication skills
- Strong content management system experience on desktop web, mobile web, and mobile
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment making independent decisions
- Proven experience for developing audiences across web, mobile web, social accounts, through SEO
- Strong understanding of mobile, apps, and social (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter)
- Experience leading a team
- Experience in a video-led operation a plus
- Paid time off every year to volunteer
- Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
- 2018 Best Company for Working Mothers
- 2018 Best Company for Dads
- An in-house learning and development team to help shape and grow your career
- Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
Warner Media, LLC and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
America's most successful premium television company, Home Box Office delivers two 24-hour pay television services—HBO®and Cinemax®. HBO continues to take advantage of the latest technological innovations with advancements that include the availability of HBO programming online though HBO GOSM and MAX GOSM, as well as HBO On Demand® and Cinemax On Demand® in HD. Just as HBO is a company noted for its commitment to excellence in the products and services it delivers to consumers, it makes the extra effort to create a work environment in which fairness, equity, trust, and individual responsibility are valued. HBO is committed to retaining and recruiting skilled and motivated employees, placing a priority on qualified team players who contribute to the diversity of their workforce. HBO offers competitive benefits to include medical, dental, vision, a matched 401(k) plan, flexible spending, a commuter benefit program and tuition reimbursement.
HBO is an equal employment opportunity employer. HBO does not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. HBO also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories.