WarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Now, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.
45 years ago we changed the face of television, and we continue that today by building and delivering next-generation entertainment and technology solutions across the globe. Our innovations impact advertising, data management, information security, content creation and delivery, business operations, broadcasting and ultimately, the fan experience.
As a technologist at WarnerMedia, you will work at the intersection of art and science. You’ll work for brands that inform and entertain the world including [adult swim], Bleacher Report, Boomerang, Cartoon Network, CNN, ELEAGUE, Great Big Story, HLN, iStreamPlanet, TBS, Turner Classic Movies (TCM), TNT, truTV and Turner Sports- which includes the NBA, NCAA March Madness, Major League Baseball and the UEFA Champions League. You’ll be part of a company that enables community and belonging by creating content that connects with fans when, how and where they want it.
As a Technical Manager, the selected candidate will be a major contributor to the success of Warner Media initiatives on the MSS Video Platform Services Team. This role is heavily focused on team leadership, system architecture, design and implementation aspects of Content Delivery Networks, including Live, Video On Demand and Site Delivery.
For the team leadership part of this role, the selected candidate will be responsible for leading a team of engineers through architecture, design and operation of applications across various organizations within Warner Media. Emphasis on Site Reliability, availability and scalability are key success factors for this role.
The selected candidate should have several years of experience managing/leading a development and/or operations team.
The selected candidate will have extensive experience with cloud-based software system architectures, as well as Content Delivery Networks.
The team collaborates closely with development teams and technical teams to provide resilient solutions to achieve business goals.
Solutions can consist of software and services, commercial software, services and systems as well as open source software.
The team is also responsible for platform configuration, capacity planning, monitoring, alert configuration and Tier 2 incident response.
- Creation of system design/architecture that will fulfill project requirements.
- Work with other team members including developers, project managers and product managers on the requirements, design and implementation of various systems.
- Establish operating criteria for proposed systems.
- Selection of technology for project implementation
- Must have experience with various Content Delivery Networks (Akamai, Centurylink, Fastly, Limelight)
- Must have experience with operational support of internet delivered products
- Must have experience with various performance monitors and have the ability to diagnose operation issues.
- Creation of system architecture documentation including:
- Design documents, executive summaries and operational guides.
- Manage a group of Sr. and Jr. engineers.
- Review architectures and operational characteristics of existing systems within the organization and propose changes/rewrites to improve system performance and reliability.
- Intermediate skills in a shell programming language such as: bsh, ksh, zsh, powershell, etc.
- Intermediate skills in one or more common, cross-platform programming languages such as: Python, Ruby, Perl, Java, etc.
- Advanced knowledge of TCP/IP, DNS and HTTP
- Experience troubleshooting web application issues using commonly available tools such as: FireBug, Charles Proxy, Chrome Developer Tools, curl, etc.
- Proficient in use of one or more popular centralized or distributed (preferred) source control tools and services such as: Git, Github, Mercurial, Bitbucket, Perforce, SVN, CVS, etc.
- Must have excellent interpersonal, organizational and communication skills.
- Having a background in Media and Entertainment is a major plus.
America's most successful premium television company, Home Box Office delivers two 24-hour pay television services—HBO®and Cinemax®. HBO continues to take advantage of the latest technological innovations with advancements that include the availability of HBO programming online though HBO GOSM and MAX GOSM, as well as HBO On Demand® and Cinemax On Demand® in HD. Just as HBO is a company noted for its commitment to excellence in the products and services it delivers to consumers, it makes the extra effort to create a work environment in which fairness, equity, trust, and individual responsibility are valued. HBO is committed to retaining and recruiting skilled and motivated employees, placing a priority on qualified team players who contribute to the diversity of their workforce. HBO offers competitive benefits to include medical, dental, vision, a matched 401(k) plan, flexible spending, a commuter benefit program and tuition reimbursement.
HBO is an equal employment opportunity employer. HBO does not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. HBO also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories.