The role of a build and release engineer is to design, build and maintain infrastructure, processes and tooling that support internal development teams and their software lifecycle. The overall function of this team is to help developers take their application source code from repository to deployment in a manner that is maintainable, scalable and repeatable. Application building and releasing is typically facilitated by Gradle and Jenkins. Application server configuration management and deployment is handled by chef. This engineer will provide expertise and support for these technologies. Most applications are deployed to an internal data center managed by vSphere however AWS is being utilized more often.
- In addition to supporting development team applications, B&R engineers also support and maintain internal applications that support the build and release process. Some examples are Jenkins, Gitlab, Artifactory, Atlassian Confluence and Atlassian JIRA.
- Additionally, this team supports a growing list of internally written automation tools that support day to day work.
- B&R engineers have a mindset to automate everything with a goal to remove human interaction as often as possible to reduce the risk of inducing error.
- Team members have curious demeanor; always searching for ways to improve processes via automation, testing, improving documentation and increasing efficiency.
- The overall goal is to provide a stable, and highly available platform for developers launching their applications.
- Skills Linux command line experience is essential as B&R engineers often spend their time diagnosing application errors on CentOS virtual machines.
- Windows Server experience is also a plus.
- Any experience with Chef or similar configuration management is useful.
- As more and more applications are transitioned to the cloud, AWS experience is valuable too.
- The majority of this team's internal tooling and automation is written in python so experience here or in a similar scripting language is good.
- Often times, networking issues cause problems that are diagnosed and fixed by the B&R team.
- A general knowledge of networking and its relation to Linux virtual machines is useful.
- Application containerization is on the horizon for this team and any related experience in this area would be nice to have.
- BS in Computer Science, Software or other Engineering or related field or equivalent work experience
- Familiarity with Linux (as a server), preferably CentOS/RedHat
- Familiarity with our current slate of software tools is a plus: Chef, Gradle, Jenkins, Artifactory, AWS, Docker
- 2+ year experience automating tasks in at least one scripting language (Perl, Python, Ruby, Bash, etc.)
- 3+ year experience in systems administration or software development
- Experience with general IT infrastructure (storage, networking, etc.)
- Experience with application and infrastructure monitoring and analytics
- Familiarity with Windows Server Administration
- Paid time off every year to volunteer
- Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
- 2018 Best Company for Working Mothers
- 2018 Best Company for Dads
- An in-house learning and development team to help shape and grow your career
- Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
Warner Media, LLC and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.